How to shut the door on negativity and destructive thought patterns. Debbie discusses the why’s and how-to’s concerning the simple but sometimes difficult battle of the mind.
Often we feel the injustices of life. This can cause a person to be angry, bitter, and resentful. Dwelling on old memories, past failures and sad thoughts can form mental habits and thought processes that can become a habit. One can get so used to living and thinking in a certain way, that they don’t even realize they’re doing it.
It’s important to be aware of your mental state so that you can stop the habit of negative thinking. There are THREE REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD:
1) IT ISN’T BENEFICIAL. It isn’t healthy. Focusing on negative thoughts only creates more negative feelings.
2) IT WILL KEEP YOU STUCK IN THE MUCK OF DESPAIR. When you dwell on thoughts of the past, you keep living it over and over and over again. When you think about negative thoughts, your brain thinks it’s real and responds accordingly.
3) IT ISN’T GOD’S WAY. Dwelling on negativity is not what God wants you to do. God is gracious, but as long as you’re concentrating on just those negative thoughts, that is all you will see. Because that’s all you have before you. This is not what God wants for you.
2 Corinthians 10:5 (NKJV)— casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ
The battlefield is in the mind. You have to make your mind be in obedience to God’s Word. Your mind’s will not do it unless you make it do it.
FIVE THINGS TO DO TO GET CONTROL OF NEGATIVE THINKING:
- IDENTIFY THE THOUGHT. Recognize when you’re doing it. It’s common to be thinking about negative things even when you don’t intend to.
- STOP. You have to stop thinking about that negative thing.
- THINK ABOUT SOMETHING POSITIVE. Replace that negative thought with something else, something good. You can only think about one thing at a time. Scripture is always great, but it can be anything good or happy.
- REPEAT THE PROCESS. The battle of the mind is an ongoing process. Just jump in and start doing it.
- DON’T OWN EVERY THOUGHT. You don’t have to own every thought that passes between your ears. They don’t all belong to you. In this lesson I’m talking about things that you’re dwelling on.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Remember, You are first on God’s mind today!
June 6, 2019 #girlchurch